Safety Tips for Socializing on Twitter
Privacy Settings & Safety Tips for Socializing on Twitter
Twitter can be a great place to connect with friends, family, and new people with similar interests. However, if one simply wants to connect privately with a few select people on the social networking site, they certainly can by utilizing a few settings on Twitter. On this page we will share a few privacy settings that Twitter users can utilize so that they’re getting maximum privacy.
Edit Your Profile Page
The first step new users to the community can take is editing their profile information. To do this, simply login and click on gear icon and click on the “Edit Profile” link.
On your profile settings page you can edit your location, full name, and bio. Feel free to fill out as much information you feel comfortable sharing online. After you have edited your profile information, don’t forget to click “Save.”
Security and Privacy Settings
To edit your security and privacy settings, simply click the “Security and privacy” link on the left hand menu while on your profile settings page.
On this page you can enable login verification to your phone and enable personal information requests to reset your Twitter password.
Protecting Your Tweets and Photo Tagging
Under the ‘Privacy” heading you can disable the photo tag feature — which disables followers from tagging you in photos. You can also make your tweets private. You can use this feature if you don’t want your tweets viewed by the general public. If you approve a new follower, he or she will be able to view your tweets. This is a great feature if you want to control who you interact with and who can view your tweets. To protect your tweets, simply tick the “Protect my Tweets” box.
If you don’t want to share your location with your tweets, leave the “Add a location to my Tweets” unchecked. If you check this feature you can share your location information like neighborhood, town, cafe, or your exact location when you tweet.
Blocking a User On Twitter and Blocking Spam Tweets
If you get harassed on Twitter or someone is @ tweeting you spam messages, you can block the person and report them to Twitter. To block a person on Twitter, visit the person’s profile and click on the gear icon next to the user’s follow button and click the “Block and Report” link.
To report a violation on Twitter, you’ll need to click on gear icon
and click the “Help” link and submit a ticket on Twitter’s support page. Click on “Report a violation.”
You can also go to https://help.twitter.com/en/contact-us
to contact Twitter directly.
Twitter Safety Tips
To socialize and navigate on the Twitter community safely, you’ll want to:
- Avoid clicking on redirect links from users you don’t trust. Usually redirect links are from spammers who will attempt to redirect you to a virus! Make sure you only click on links from users you know and trust.
- Be extremely cautious when it comes to revealing any personal information publically, such as your email address, phone number, home address, and your work address.
- Change your Twitter password often and don’t use the same password on any other websites.
- Always make sure you’re visiting the real Twitter.com. Check the URL in your browser & make sure it begins with http://www.twitter.com.
- As an extra precaution, you can use Roboform to login, store, and create passwords securely for you.